Looking for the perfect fall recipe? Butternut squash is a low-calorie fruit which yields multiple health benefits, making it the perfect ingredient for any fall dish. Try this quick and healthy butternut squash soup recipe that’s sure to warm you up on colder nights.
Go For The Gourd
When the weather cool down, we often crave starchy comfort foods since they increase serotonin levels in the brain, known as the “feel good” hormones.
What many people don’t understand, is that you can still increase the serotonin levels in the brain by eating nutrient-rich foods like butternut squash, packed full of fiber, potassium, antioxidants, tryptophan, vitamin B6 and omega-3 fatty acids.
For a quick and easy winter recipe, butternut squash soup is the perfect warming comfort food that will satiate your hunger and leave you with ample leftovers.
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 45 min (Serves 4-6)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 4 red potatoes chopped
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, chopped and deseeded (6-8 cups)
- 1 large green apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Sautée the onions, celery and carrots in coconut oil (5 min)
- Add the butternut squash, potatoes, apple, broth and water (30 min)
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup in batches
- Season with a pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper
Don't forget to serve with a fresh loaf of bread!